Agency History #555
In 1877 ranchers, miners, and homesteaders began to settle in Piute County near the confluence of the east and west forks of the Sevier River. The Junction settlement was shortly thereafter designated as the new Piute County county seat. In 1903 the county built a stately court house in Junction, which today is on the national register of historic buildings. Also in 1903 Junction residents incorporated the Junction Water Works Company for the purpose of building and operating a culinary water system. Ten years later, 7 April 1913, the town of Junction was incorporated. The new municipal government assumed responsibility for maintaining the water works as well as for managing other community functions.
In 1903 Junction residents incorporated the Junction Water Works Company for the purpose of building and operating a culinary water system. Maintenance of this water system remained a primary function of municipal government after the community became incorporated in 1913. In addition to managing the water works, Junction municipal government assumed responsibility for providing additional public services, promoting community development, maintaining law and order, and for safeguarding public health. The Junction town council has been responsible for grading and graveling streets, installing culverts, and for maintaining a community cemetery, a park, and a Little League field. The town has organized a volunteer fire department, worked with the Cattlemen's Association to maintain rodeo grounds, and contracted with Garfield County to provide for trash pick up. The community has traditionally used the Piute County court house for council meetings and other community business. Each year the Junction town council sponsors an Easter egg hunt, a July 4th celebration, a deer hunter's dance, a Christmas dinner and program, and visits from Santa to each Junction family.
Officers of the original Junction Water Company included a president, vice president, three co-directors, a secretary, and a treasurer. Since incorporation the town council has included a president (or mayor) and four trustees. These officers are elected by general municipal election for four year terms. The council president or mayor is the chief executive officer. He presides over council meetings and supervises all other municipal officers. He signs resolutions, ordinances, and official contracts on behalf of the city. The town council functions as a legislative governing body, and is responsible for all aspects of community management, including appointing officials and setting their salaries, levying taxes, establishing a budget, maintaining public services and utilities, and regulating activity within the community.
Originally the Junction town council appointed a town clerk, a treasurer, a justice of the peace, an attorney, and a town marshal who also served as pound keeper, supervisor of streets, and supervisor of the water works. The marshal was expected to work full-time and was paid for his services. The original council also organized a board of health which included a quarantine officer, a town board member and one other person. In 1922 the Junction town council appointed a police officer. Revised Ordinances of the Town of Junction, adopted in 1976, additionally provide for the appointment of a cemetery superintendent to maintain the town cemetery; a fire chief to supervise the volunteer fire department; a board of health consisting of five members to enforce ordinances relating to the health and welfare of residents; a nuisance inspector to enforce ordinances dealing with nuisances; a superintendent and department of streets to maintain streets, sidewalks, and gutters; a planning commission and a board of adjustment composed of five members each to function as prescribed by Utah law; a water department to administer and maintain the town water system; and a chief of police to also function as ex-officio jailer and ex-officio pound master.
PRIOR NAMES: The original community at the junction of the forks of the Sevier River was also called City Creek and West Junction before the name Junction became firmly established. The Junction Water Works Company (1903-1913) preceded municipal government in building and water system and fulfilling some functions of city government.
|WATER WORKS COMPANY AND TOWN BOARD PRESIDENTS (MAYORS):|
|William L. Johnson||1918|
|James B. Maxwell||1924|
|Morgan P. McKay||1924-1925|
|Barlo T. Luke||1944-1945|
|Max M. Morrill||1962-1965|
|Melvin H. Price||1966-1969|
|Burke L. Barlow||1970-1971|
|Juel J. Jensen||1978-1981|
|R. Lynn Robinson||1982-1989|
|Orlin H. Howes||1994 -1997|
COMPILED BY: Rosemary Cundiff , February 2002
Bennett, Cindy Larson. Dots on the Map: A Traveler's History of All the Towns in Utah, (unpublished) Cindy Larson, 1163 Lake Street, Salt Lake City, Utah 84105.
Junction (Utah). Codified ordinances, Utah State Archives, (Series 23964).
Junction (Utah). Council minutes, Utah State Archives, (Series 23963).
Newell, Linda King,A History of Piute County. Salt Lake City: Utah State Historical Society; Piute County Commission 1999.
Page Last Updated July 2, 2003.