Agency History #2499
The Capitol Commission was created in 1909 when the Utah Legislature enacted four Capitol Building bills approved by Governor William Spry March 11, 1909. The first bill, chapter 64, created a Capitol Commission consisting of seven members to oversee the construction of the capitol building (Laws of Utah, chapter 64, p. 106). The other three bills, chapters 65, 66, and 67 provided funds to meet the cost of the building.
The commission was authorized, empowered, and directed to cause a suitable design, with plans and specifications, to be prepared for the erection of a State Capitol upon the Capitol grounds in Salt Lake City. The commission was charged to provide a design to meet the future requirements of the state, and to provide for growth as the necessities of the state may require.
The officers of the commission consisted of a president, a vice-president, a superintendent of buildings and grounds, and a secretary. The Governor acted as president, the Secretary of State as vice-president, with the superintendent and secretary elected by the commission from among the members appointed by the Governor. Five members of the commission constituted the necessary quorum for the transaction of business.
Members of the commission were Governor William Spry, president of the commission; Secretary of State C.S. Tingey, vice-president; Attorney General A. R. Barnes; and four others appointed by the Governor: John Dern, C.E. Loose, M.S. Browning, and John Henry Smith.
COMPILED BY: Kenneth R. Williams, February 1994
A Guide to Utah's Capitol Hill, published by the Utah Travel Council.Laws of Utah, 1909, chapter 64, p. 106-108 (Series 83155)."Report of the Capitol Commission, Public Documents, 1915-1916, vol. 1, section 5 (Series 240).Utah Official Roster, 1983-84, p. 1-3 (Series 1150).