Standards and Best Practices
Some records may not be available for research from June 1-11, 2015 due to equipment upgrades. Please consider visiting beforehand or contacting the Research Center for more information.
The Utah State Archives believes in using nationally recognized standards and best practices for optimum quality, usability, and interoperability with other organizations and applications.
- Utah State Archives Imaging Guidelines (2013), summary of resolution and bit depth to use for textual, photographic and film materials.
- NISO Framework for Building Good Digital Collections, 3rd edition, http://www.niso.org/publications/rp/framework3.pdf
- Handbook for Digital Projects: A Management Tool for Preservation and Access, http://www.nedcc.org/digital/dman.pdf
- Mountain West Digital Library Dublin Core Application Profile, http://mwdl.org/docs/MWDL_DC_Profile_Version_2.0.pdf
- Dublin Core Metadata Initiative Terms, http://dublincore.org/documents/dcmi-terms/
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard (Second Edition), http://www2.archivists.org/standards/describing-archives-a-content-standard-second-edition-dacs
- BCR Digital Imaging Best Practices 2.0, http://mwdl.org/public/mwdl/digital-imaging-bp_2.0.pdf
- BCR Digital Audio Best Practices
- National Archives and Records Administration Technical Guidelines for Digitizing Archival Materials for Electronic Access: Creation of Production Master Files - Raster Images, http://archives.gov/preservation/technical/guidelines.html