Full report in the Strategic Plan.
FY 2012 DIVISION HIGHLIGHTS
- Elizabeth Perkes received the Conference of Inter-Mountain Archivists’ (CIMA) Service Award for long-time service to the archival profession. The award is presented to an individual who has made significant contributions in service to and leadership in the archival profession.
- The Geospatial Multistate Archive and Preservation Partnership (GeoMAPP) Best Practices for Archival Processing for Geospatial Datasets by the GeoMAPP project is the 2012 recipient of the Preservation Publication Award given by the Society of American Archivists.
- ARMA International, Salt Lake Chapter, awarded the State Archives an award for Partner Organization of the Year, recognizing the Archives’ support and leadership in the organization.
- The Utah State Archives’ State Records Center relocated to a state-owned warehouse which was renovated to meet the needs of efficient operation. Secure industrial shelving was installed to house the records, a new fire sprinkling system was installed to protect the records, and new electric equipment was obtained to increase efficiency in records retrieval. The State Records Center moved into its new home, relocating 120,000 cubic feet of state and local government records, in the spring. New records center in Clearfield35
- The Archives was a leading partner in the formal adoption of an Annex for Cultural Property, an Appendix to the Emergency Support Function 11 Annex of the Utah Emergency Operations Plan. Utah is only the third state in the United States to have a cultural annex approved, making the recovery of cultural property found in archives, libraries, museums, and historical societies statewide a recognized priority.
- The Archives’ records ombudsman responded to 389 records access issue contacts and held six mediations in the first threemonth period of creation. Through her efforts she successfully resolved the issue entirely or significantly narrowed the issues in conflict.
- The Utah State Historical Records Advisory Board re-granted $19,300 in grant awards, possible through a grant from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission.
- The Archives added 99,287 images to the Digital Archives, now totaling 900,000 images online. The collections had over 1,909,000 patron accesses.
- The Archives supports the State Records Committee. The Committee heard 17 appeal hearings and 12 pre-hearing conferences out of 126 hearing requests.